.

.

.

.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ADDICTED TO PAINKILLERS

It’s an addiction that has ruined her life and wrecked two marriages but not even the desperate pleas of her three children stops Jo Halsey, 37, taking pills.

Sweating and in crushing pain, I reach out for the packet at my bedside. Then, trembling, I shake 10 tablets into the palm of my hand and quickly gulp them back.
Of course, I know that taking so many tablets at once could kill me. But, despite pleas from my family to stop, I simply can’t. Because I am an addict.
But not to heroin or any other illegal drug – I am addicted to ordinary painkillers, the sort available at any supermarket.
And every day I swallow 70 Nurofen Plus tablets. My life revolves around them; I live for them. Taking this many painkillers is the only way that I feel normal.
Two years ago I did almost kill myself doing it. But, despite that warning and my GP’s advice, I still take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment